Friday, March 8, 2013

Journel 5

OK. I thought the video was quite interesting and had me look at grocery shopping in a hole new light. The amount of product that a store such as Winn-Dixie and Publix waste is amazing to me. I will make it a point to research what Winn-Dixie and our local grocery stores do to minimize there waste. I liked how the video touched on the poverty of other third world countries, however I think he was very ill informed of why some of those countries are where they are. Many of there own governments are the reason famine and starvation are such a problem. They steal much of the money and food that is sent there to feed the hungry and ration it out as they see fit. Until more is done to regulate these small dictator ran countries we should not worry ourselves with sending mass amounts of money and food. Some of the facts that were presented in the video were quite astounding to me and I look forward to finding more and arguing about them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Josh, the film definitely gives you a completely new perspective on food , and food waste. I think I had sent you a response on your take before, but It didn't go through...When I asked Publix what they did with expired items, or non sellable goods, they said they dumped. They actually poured out the milk, squashed the dairy items, eggs, and made it impossible to salvage any food. The US does give food aid to other countries, and I can see why you take issue with corrupt government using the aid improperly, the fact is that children are still starving around the world, and its hard to place the blame on them. I wish there were a more efficient way to get the food to the ones that actually are in desperate need. I do think we have a responsibility in our local communities to ensure that children here at home are not going hungry. One out of every six children go to bed hungry in America, that's not right.

    ReplyDelete